Thursday, January 27, 2011

Crafty Crap**: Chairs

I have realized something about myself over the past year. I obsess. I get into a mode (like right now I'm in crafty-mode) and I go crazy for a few months. Then I'm burned out and so I switch to a different obsession mode. Some modes I go through:
.
Family History
Craft/Sewing
Scrapbooking
Cake Decorating
Painting (like painting rooms in our house)
Reading
.
I don't know how to not obsessively work on these things. Cake decorating was definitely the longest. And I still love to do cakes. I wish I had been able to work out the home business thing - but maybe its a good thing I didn't. I'd have gotten over my cake mode, but then HAD to stay with it, cause at that point I'd have had to justify the whole business thing.
.
It's made a big difference, though, that I've realized this about myself. Now I know what to expect. I never know how long any one mode will last, but I do know that it will eventually end. Just knowing this has helped me to be more rational in my decision making and long-term planning.
.
Okay - so all of that ranting was really more for me than anything. As I mentioned before, I am currently in Craft Mode. So I'm embracing it for as long as it decides to stick around. The next few weeks I will be sharing some of my projects.
.
First up: a sweet little doll chair Kiera and I went to Goodwill looking for something (more on that in a following crafty crap post), but instead found this little doll chair. It was a little scuffed up, and a funky peach color, but otherwise in great condition. I sanded, spray painted and then drew the little rosette detail with my sharpies.
Now Teddy and the dolls have a place to sit.
.
This next one is not very exciting really. Jeff's parents gave us a child-sized wooden rocker a couple of years ago. From the beginning my plan was to paint it.....yeah, it just got done this week. It used to be primary red, but since we have nothing else red... Anyway, not too exciting, just a white rocker. But the way the girls keep fighting over it you'd think it was carved of gold. Or maybe candy.

** Crafty Crap is a Jeff term, if you hadn't already guessed. According to him that's what any craft-related item is...crap.

3 thoughts from friends:

Butters said...

I love watching you go through your different modes, cuz I get to see all the cool stuff you do. Your amazing!

Chad and Jessica said...

HUrrah, someone like me!!!! I am exactly the same way when it comes to "modes"...and it's good and bad, because like you, I think about starting a side business in something I love, and then a month later I'm onto the next mode.

And what Jeff said is hilarious...sometimes I think the same thing when I'm working on something. But whatev...if it makes a person happy, it's not crap!

Karen K. said...

Tim has "modes" too. I just want to do everything and never seem to get to much of it. I like your crafty mode though. That's the one I'd like to do but am actually rather lazy about. I don't like sanding or waiting for paint to dry. Maybe the word is impatient. I am definitely impatient. Have fun!