Thursday, May 26, 2011

Crafty Crap: Dining table re-do

We bought our dining table about 5 years ago - I loved how it looked. It's counter-height, had a distressed paint job, and I liked the grooves on the top.

Fast forward five years.....I hated this table.

It was so "distressed" looking that it just seemed worn out, it was chipped everywhere, and I really hated the grooves in the top. Do you know how hard those are to keep clean?!?This is where K sits. She went through a phase where she banged her silverware on the top of the table.
So I decided to try refinishing it. My original plan was to figure out how to fill in the grooves and make it a solid top....I sacrificed the leaf (which we never used) to try different techniques. I finally gave up on filling in those darn grooves.

I painted the whole set (table and 8 chairs) with a high-gloss enamel paint. Soooooo much better.
Yea!!
Now I don't groan every time we sit down to eat!

4 thoughts from friends:

Chad and Jessica said...

I will always love that you guys call it crafty crap...lol. The table looks amazing. Bravo!

The Hymas Clan said...

Awesome job! We REALLY need to do ours! All of my kids went through the banging the silverwear on the table stage! Maybe this summer!

Karen K. said...

I still have silverware (and other) marks all over my furniture and it's not from the grandkids. Groan... The table looks great!

Cynthia said...

Very nice!!!!