Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My poor baby...

My poor baby has been sick for 2 1/2 weeks. Here is her last few weeks in summary:
Feb 6 - 13: fever for 8 days straight, finally a diagnosis of scarlet fever.
Feb 14 - 17: still puny, but antibiotics are helping
Feb 18 - 20: good days, goes to preschool, resuming normal activities
Feb 21: fever returns!
Feb 21 - 25: fever continues, diagnosis of new viral infection, ear infection, and an allergic reaction to her previous antibiotics resulting in
HIVES!
The hives are EVERYWHERE on her (the picts don't do it justice - the hives are so much worse than you can imagine). She is SO uncomfortable, but the Benadryl and oatmeal baths seem to be providing a little relief.
I just feel so bad for her - poor little thing has been sick for 2 1/2 weeks. And she's been really sick. She has become a pro during her doctors visits. Hopefully she will get this all out of her system and be healthy for the rest of the year! (Hey, I can hope right?)

3 thoughts from friends:

Dani said...

Oh, poor baby! That's terrible! I hope she feels better soon!

Jill said...

Ok this is long but bear with me!! I have a book and this is what it says about scarlet fever...
"Scarlet fever is another example of a once feared disease that has virtually disappeared. If a vaccine had ever been developed for it, doctors wouild undoubtedly credit that with the elimination of the disease. Since there is no vaccine, they give the credit to penicillin, despite the fact that the disease was already disappearing before the first anitbiotics appeared. Ina ll probability, as with other diseases, the true reason for its waning incidence is improved living conditions and better nutrition.
The disease got its name from the red rash that covers the body of victims. It is caused by a streptococcus infection, and the initial symptoms are vomiting, headache, a swelling of lymph nodes inthe neck and a fever of 101-105 degrees. The disease usually affects children between the ages of 2 and 8 and the rash thataccompanies it fades in a bout a week. If your child contacts scarlet fever, which is most unlikely, you need not be alarmed because it is not more dangerous than a strep throat infection. It will disappear by itself, but if you take your child to a doctor, he is likely to prescribe an antibioti that your child really doesn't need."
~ Dr. Robert Mendelsohn 'How to Raise a Healthy Child In Spite of Your Doctor'

I hope this helps some and that she begins to feel better soon!

Blevins family of three said...

That really is the sadest thing I have ever seen!! I feel so bad for her!! But she is still cute and hopefully feeling better. I guess I will see her today, so I can find out for myself!