Monday, June 8, 2009

Couponing Update

I have been couponing more seriously over the past 8-9 weeks or so. I am proud to report that I am doing better and better (ie. saving more $).
This is my latest haul from Albertsons.

total price: $59.09

coupons: $52.49

Final out-of-pocket: $6.60 !!!!!

That's an 88% savings! WooWoo!

____________________________________________

I also added up my last few Albies trips

Total for 3 trips: $87.19

Coupons: $60.67

Final out-of-pocket for 3 trips: $26.52

A 70% savings over 3 shopping trips - not too shabby! We have a good-sized pantry in our kitchen, but with all the stockpiling I've been doing, it is already full. I had to reorganize my cabinets to empty one out and turn it into a secondary pantry. I've already filled it up with food! I think our next step is shelving in the garage for the dry goods. I have found that this is a FABULESS way to acquire a year-supply of food (that we will actually eat!) for pennies on the dollar. (As a side-note, all of the cereal in this cupboard - about 20 boxes - I got for $.50 or less!)

When I started couponing, I made a decision that I wouldn't buy something just because I had a coupon for it. To me that totally defeats the purpose. I have only been buying the same foods/supplies as before - and buying a LOT more of them.

In 6 weeks I have cut my weekly grocery bill to about $50; I used to spend about $120 a week! Couponing takes planning and organization, but I approach it like a puzzle or game (I love puzzles...) and am actually having a lot of fun!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

UPDATE:

I get my coupons from several places, but the 2 main sources are

1. The inserts in the Sunday paper (Smart Source, Red Plum, P &G Saver) get the hard copies, but the you can also print from their websites. The more copies of a coupon you have = more savings!

2. coupons.com

If you are interested in starting to coupon - read the blogs that I have linked on the left-hand side. My favorites are Krazy Coupon Lady and FabuLESSly Frugal. These women are amazing couponers and I have learned so much by just copying what they are doing. I can now come up with my own deals - but I still check out their suggestions first.

It takes some time to get the hang of it; my biggest suggestion is to read the coupon blogs. They all have "newbie" sections to help you start. Also, don't expect to see a dramatic difference in the first couple of weeks. It took a good month or so before I saw my weekly grocery bills go down.

Good luck!

4 thoughts from friends:

Paul and Missy said...

Where do you get your coupons from? Do you get them online? I've been wanting to do this too! Also, have you been to restaurants.com? You can get really really cheap restaurant gift certificates (we got a $25 gift certificate for Pacific Grill on coburg rd for $2! You have to spend $35 but you get a $35 dinner for $12!). The restaurant.com is the thing that made me want to start the coupon thing.

WASHINGTON SOUTHWORTHS said...

Awesome!! I may need to start putting a little more effort into this!!

Matt said...

Wow, coupon madness. Do you have any coupons for houses or cars? I'd like to get 88% off a new car.

lindsaymarchant said...

I am so impressed. I need to start doing this! You are really motivating me.