Janae only goes to school Tuesdays, Fridays and alternating Wednesdays, so I started looking for "school" things to do on her off days. I want her to keep learning and have a more steady schedule. I have TONS of elementary school things left from my year of teaching (and student teaching) and I got some good tips from a friend of ours who homeschools her boys. She recommended the Spectrum series, and so far it seems like a good choice for Janae as well. My biggest challenge was creating a set schedule/routine....so I decided to copy Red Flyer School's set up. This is a friend of ours and she homeschools/tot schools her kids. I really like the workbox system she is using, so I've come up with our version. I still have some things to implement, but so far things are off to a good start.
Janae had 4 tasks this day. I set the piles up the night before with all of the things she'll need to complete the job. (Eventually I will have actual tubs for each job) She gets soooo excited to come downstairs and see "what games I get to play today!" My only real schedule requirement right now is that she gets dressed and eats breakfast before she starts. She has all day to get the tasks done, too; I don't want to push her too much and have her start resenting our homeschool. I think as we progress through the year the rules/schedule will become a little stricter, but for now I want to be pretty flexible.
Making letters out of playdough

Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









5 thoughts from friends:
That is a really good idea! I've been wanting to do something with Eli on his off day but have not been sure what!!! I'll have to talk to you more later!!! Looks like fun!!!
Awesome! She looks happy! Isn't that so funny how they wake up so excited for the things they get to do that day. I love it!
What a fun idea. I should do that with my boys. I had a friend who did weeks too... like one week was body week, and each day they did things that focused on it... one week was weather week... they loved it!
Good luck and keep us posted.
What a great idea! Definitely keep us posted on how this works out... I'm very curious! Hopefully her enthusiasm for learning continues. :)
Love the play dough letters, I will have to do that with Kyra (we have been working on letters)!
Post a Comment